The Glass House
Completed in 1949 by Philip Johnson, The Glass House is a masterwork of midcentury architecture, perched atop a forested hill, with views overlooking the surrounding pond and wooded areas. The compact former home of the late architect ushered in a new style of residential building upon its completion in the mid 20th century, praised for its innovative use of materials and seamless integration into the surrounding landscape. Johnson, who lived in the Glass House until his death in 2005, built additional structures on the property including the Brick House, as well as a pavilion and art galleries.
Since its completion in 1949, the building’s décor has remained intact, straying ever so slightly from Johnson’s original design. The structure’s straightforward layout and lack of traditional ‘rooms’ employs strategically sourced furnishing to define each space; with a rug signifying the living room and carefully curated seating implements by Mies van der Rohe. Take a trip outside of the city for a day of culture visiting The Glass House, The Brick House, the property’s Painting Gallery – housing Johnson’s collection of works by Andy Warhol, Frank Stella, Roy Lichtenstein and many others – the Sculpture Gallery and the surrounding landscape. A 'Must Go' trip for any forthcoming, beautiful spring day.